Thursday, February 17, 2005

Most Recent Book Project

I recently decided to publish a book I've been working on from time to time over an extended period, but which got put on the back burner due to the other projects that have been taking all of my spare time. This book is quite a bit different than my other works in that it is a collection of short observations and commentaries woven together into a narrative that is loosely based on my Caribbean kayak trip.

Since my full-length narrative of the this trip: On Island Time: Kayaking the Caribbean, is scheduled to be released in May, I decided to go ahead and publish Astray of the Herd: Observations, Commentaries and Rants as a companion book. Astray of the Herd is made up of the sort of stuff you might discusss around a campfire while temporarily free of running with "the herd" that makes up the bulk of society back in the "real" world. In these observations I have examined a wide range of concepts, material objects, technologies, and beliefs from the point of view of one who at least at the time was far removed from them and not in need of them. It's mostly humorous in nature, but I think a lot of it is true as well. Those who read parts of the manuscript urged me to make it available to my readers, so that is what I have done.

It was a fun book to write and I would like to write more of this kind of commentary, which is partly why I started this blog. In the future I plan to expand on some of the topics addressed in Astray of the Herd right here in a format where readers can contribute their own comments or counter-arguements. More about the book is available at this page: www.scottbwilliams.com/Astray

No comments: